Search this Site
Well, the time has come for Phase #1 of the Upgrade. Phase #2 will be a graphics card upgrade later in the year in time for Age of Empires III, but Phase #1 involves:
- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939)
- Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro (Socket 939) Motherboard
- OcUK Value (6097) Gaming Case Silver – 400w PSU
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6B250SO SATA 16MB Cache – OEM
- Compro VideoMate DVB-T200 Digital TV Internal PCI
All of which should give me quite a nice system, when combined with my 1GB RAM, 17″ TFT, 16x DVD writer (dual-layer) and so on. The graphics card will likely be the main bottleneck then, but that will be sorted later in the year. The disadvantage there is it’ll have to be AGP, rather than PCI Express, which will probably be cheaper then, but for the games I play, I likely won’t notice it that much. (My current graphics card – GeForce 4 MX 440 – is only PCI, due to my old motherboard, some PC Chips abomination – not having an AGP slot!). My laser printer should arrive later in the week too, which is good. Status update later.